Thursday, June 16, 2005

Busy Spring Days...

Lots of things to do, places to go, people to see! I need to get pictures up, but thought I would get the general info in here first.

Josh had a couple of firsts in the past week, he got to go to the U-pick strawberry farm and pick his very own strawberries! He loved it and couldn't believe he was actually allowed to pick them from the plants. We ended up a batch of rather unripe berries, he didn't quite seem to get the concept of just picking the red ones. He had a blast walking up and down the rows putting berries in his little basket. Hopefully I got some cute pictures, the batteries on the darn camera died on me after I took a few, so I'm not sure what I got.

He also took his first trip to the zoo! I can't believe that it his first visit, I think we had it planned to go a couple of times last year but the trip was canceled due to weather. Well that wasn't a problem this time, we had beautiful weather on Tuesday, a perfect day to visit the zoo.
http://www.zoo.org/


We had a motto that helped us decided which animals we would visit: If it is big and it is moving, we'll go see it! The kids (we went with Erika and her daughter Jaeden) couldn't get real excited about a sleeping lump of fur and us telling them look it is a tiger, see? see? see? So we stuck with our motto and were much more successful. So we got to see the following:

  • Giraffes
  • Hippopotamus
  • Tigers
  • Orangutan
  • Gorillas
  • Owl (up close and personal during a demonstration)
  • Elephants
  • Penguins
  • Colobus Monkey



The Butterfly exhibit was open and worth the extra $1 to get in. http://www.zoo.org/bflies_blms/bb.html

Josh has always loved butterflies, it was one of his very first signs and he could pick them out in the funniest places. Whenever he started making his little butterfly sign I had to start looking to find it, because he was never wrong. He was so excited to seem the up close and watch them flying all around him. He could hardly contain his excitement. The butterflies along with all the different types of flowers just about sent him over the edge! I think we spent at least an hour in the butterfly exhibit and flower garden. Naptime finally drove us out of the park and on our way home otherwise I'm sure we would have stayed a couple more hours.


I am thinking about getting a zoo membership. You get so many benefits and it doesn't take too many visits for it to pay for itself. Josh has free admission until he is 2, but adults cost $10 and kids are $7. Fortunately, my friend Erika's husband works for Microsoft and one of their perks is discount admission to the zoo so it was only $3 for each of us. What a deal! Next time though, we'll remember to bring our own picnic, nothing is worse than getting below average food and having to pay ridiculous prices for it!

All in all, we had a great time at zoo. I'll get some pictures posted here and then load the rest into the online album.

Recent cute moment: Michael came in to see Josh just as I was getting him out of the bathtub, Josh would barely let me get his diaper on, he wanted to snuggle with Daddy. So as Michael was holding him, Josh snuggled into his shoulder and said "buddies, buddies". It was so sweet! Michael calls him "my buddies" (not sure why it is plural, it just is!) when he gives Josh hugs, so Josh was returning the favor.

No comments: